I have so much to do, and so much time to do it. And yet still, I find myself unable to accomplish everything I need to in a day.
What I need to do is write. Vanessa’s story has 27 days left until it’s deadline, and I need to write just over 40,000 words in that time.
What I also need to do is make a living. That requires marketing and networking.
Yesterday’s tasks on my ‘official’ to-do list.
1. Write What Zombies Fear: LEGION
Yesterday’s tasks on the “What I did today” list.
1. Write 4 press releases. These are formulaic writing, and mostly copy/paste. But by the time you log into the PR site, paste the press release, fill out all the fields, hit submit, go to your email, wait for the email and then verify the email, it’s about 15 minutes each.
Time spent: 1 hour
2. Gather up and inventory print copies.
Time spent: 30 minutes
3. Take print copies to Irvin’s Books and arrange a book signing next tuesday 7/9/2013.
Time spent: 3.5 hours. Irvin is like 130 years old and loves to talk.
4. Put What Zombies Fear: Declaration of War on Createspace so people can buy print versions
This consisted of several mini projects.
Update the copyright page to reflect the print version
Obtain an ISBN number
Upload the file to CreateSpace
Make corrections to the file
Create a cover to specifications within .000001 of an inch.
Upload cover to Createspace
Time Spent: 3.5 hours
5. Update Goodreads with new books
Time Spent: 1 hour
6. Add Goodreads promotional material
Time Spent: 1 hour
7. Promote Giveaway
Time Spent 30 minutes.
Realize I need to write press releases for the giveaway. Return to step 1.
11.5 hours of work and I only wrote 500 words in What Zombies Fear: LEGION. (I wrote while I ate lunch).
Seriously, where does the time go? I try to be so regimented. I work efficiently and quickly. I don’t watch TV or listen to the radio. I don’t have any distractions. What happens to the minutes?
Today it’s almost noon and I haven’t done any writing either. Yesterday I realized my goodreads profile was super-stale, and in serious need of update. So I did that today. I updated my various FB pages and answered email. I ordered print copies of the books for the book signing. I approved the copy of WZF: Declaration of War on createspace. (It’ll be available for purchase within a couple of days.
Who says being self employed is easy!
(Although I love every minute of it!!!)